Easy ways to keep your cards safe
Here are some easy and effective ways to protect your card and PIN from fraud.
Being vigilant will keep you protected from fraudsters
- Never divulge your PIN to anyone, not even the bank or police
- Always use your hand as a shield while entering your PIN to keep it as a secret
- Be aware of others around when using an ATM machine, particularly at night, and avoid using an ATM if suspicious looking individuals are hanging around
- Do not take advice from 'helpful' strangers that happen to be standing near an ATM, especially if your card has been unexpectedly retained
- If anything looks suspicious or unusual when you are at the ATM then do not use it. Instead either alert a member of staff if available or move a reasonable distance from the machine and call the police.
- If you realise the ATM has been tampered after you have inserted your card, contact HSBC while still standing at the cash machine if it is safe to do so
- Contact HSBC immediately if your card is unexpectedly retained by an ATM. Please also ensure to save HSBC's phone number into your mobile.
- On completing a transaction, discreetly put your money and card away before leaving the cash machine
- Check your statements regularly for any transactions you do not recognise and report them to HSBC immediately