Easy ways to keep your cards safe
Here are some easy and effective ways to protect your card and PIN from fraud.
Being vigilant will keep you protected from fraudsters
- Never divulge your PIN to anyone, not even the bank or police
- Always use your hand as a shield while entering your PIN to keep it as a secret
- Be aware of others around when using an ATM machine, particularly at night, and avoid using an ATM if suspicious looking individuals are hanging around
- Do not take advice from 'helpful' strangers that happen to be standing near an ATM, especially if your card has been unexpectedly retained
- If anything looks suspicious or unusual when you are at the ATM then do not use it. Instead either alert a member of staff if available or move a reasonable distance from the machine and call the police.
- If you realise the ATM has been tampered after you have inserted your card, contact HSBC while still standing at the cash machine if it is safe to do so
- Contact HSBC immediately if your card is unexpectedly retained by an ATM. Please also ensure to save HSBC's phone number into your mobile.
- On completing a transaction, discreetly put your money and card away before leaving the cash machine
- Check your statements regularly for any transactions you do not recognise and report them to HSBC immediately
ATM fraud prevention
Protecting your card and PIN
Bogus courier scam
Please refer to your accounts general terms and conditions where more extensive security information appears.