Top of main content

What can you claim under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974?

Under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, if you made a purchase of between £100 and £30,000 with a credit card, your purchases are protected if the supplier breaches their contract or misrepresents the goods. 

If your supplier cancels, doesn't deliver your goods or stops trading, you can make a claim to your credit card company. Even if you just made part of the purchase with your credit card (such as a deposit) you will still be eligible to make a claim as long as the total purchase price for a single item is between £100 and £30,000.

Can you claim for travel bookings?

If flights, package holidays, or events are cancelled, it's important to refer to your contract and understand the supplier's terms relating to cancellations, refunds or re-booking in the first instance. If you do this before raising a dispute or Section 75 claim, this will help you set out your dispute or claim to us and could enable you to get a resolution quicker. 

If your bookings are not cancelled, check the Foreign and Commonwealth Office's (FCO) current travel restrictions for guidance and advice. There are different travel restrictions and in some cases bans on travel depending on your destination and dates of travel. So if your date of travel or event extends beyond the dates mentioned in the FCO's advice, you may need to wait until the restrictions or bans are extended before being able to make a Section 75 claim.  

If the supplier offers you the ability to re-book or a credit voucher, you will not be able to raise a dispute or claim under Section 75 unless this is in breach of the supplier's terms and conditions.

If the supplier stops trading/becomes insolvent and cancels, but doesn't offer a refund or re-booking, then you may be able to make a Section 75 claim.

See how to dispute a transaction

In order to raise a dispute or claim under Section 75, you'll need to provide us with:

  • full details relating to the booking (including supplier's terms and conditions)
  • all correspondence with the suppliers or insurers

We'll review your case on its merits, but will require you to evidence that you have tried to mitigate your loss. 

See how to dispute a transaction

Before you call, make sure you have considered the guidance above and you have all the relevant information to enable us to assist you with your dispute or claim.

Travel insurance

If you have travel insurance cover, you may be able to make a claim if your trip has been cancelled for reasons beyond your control. This will depend on the type of travel insurance you have, the policy terms, when you purchased it, where you're travelling to, and your dates of travel. If your travel plans have been cancelled, your first step should be to contact your travel or accommodation provider for a refund. Typically, your travel insurance claim will only be considered if you can show that you've been unable to recover your losses from your travel or accommodation provider.

We're here to help you. Find the answers and while you're at it, tell us how we could do better.