When you use your credit or debit card online, we may ask you to confirm the payment by entering a one-time passcode (OTP) sent via SMS. This makes it harder for fraudsters to make payments without your knowledge. We're updating this process in line with Payment Services Regulations.
From now on, you may be asked to confirm online card purchases more often. We've also introduced new ways to do this.
The options available for you to confirm your purchases are:
- HSBC CI & IoM Mobile Banking app: Simply log on to our secure app using your Digital Secure Key and confirm your payment in just a few taps. If you don't already have it, you can discover our app
- SMS: we'll send a code to your mobile phone for you to enter to verify and continue with your payment. Please ensure we have your correct mobile number - you can log on and update it via online banking. We'll also be introducing additional changes to supplement the use of one-time passcodes (OTP)
- card reader: if you're unable to verify your payment using the app or SMS options, we've introduced a handheld card reader device used to generate codes to confirm purchases. See below for more information
Make sure you're ready by following these steps
1. Download and start using the app
Already use our mobile banking app?
Don't use mobile or online banking yet?
Use online banking but not mobile banking?
Don't want to use the mobile banking app?
2. Make sure we have your correct mobile number
Review your mobile number in online banking
Update your mobile number without online banking
Don't want to give us your mobile number?
If you can't confirm your purchases using the app or SMS options, we've introduced a new card reader option.
A card reader is a small, handheld device that generates one-time codes to confirm online card purchases. To use it, you'll need to insert your debit or credit card into the device. We'll ask you to enter your card PIN followed by an authentication code, shown on your purchase screen.
The card reader will generate an 8-digit code for you to enter on the purchase screen to confirm the transaction.
If you require a card reader device please give us a call. In the meantime, should you be asked to confirm an online card purchase, and you can't use either the app or SMS methods, call us to discuss other options to complete your purchase.